Deadline Zombies: The Adventures of Maxi and Moxie
by Teel James Glenn
The Book is Fantasy/ pulp adventure/mystery
Published by BooksForABuck
Chasing a headline is just a job for ace reporter Moxie Donovan, but sometimes those headlines turn on him and bite. Moxie, along with his sexy better half, Maxi (a theater and film actor) face a tiger-sized panther, mechanical gunmen who support the master race, Irish Fae with the urge to pay Moxie back for the loot his grandfather took from them, murder and a hypnotist intent on re-filming Ben Hur.
And the good thing is I have two more collections of Moxie and Maxi just waiting for me. Book Two: Headline Ghouls, The Further Adventures of Maxi & Moxie; Book Three: Tabloid Terrors, More Adventures of Maxi & Moxie.
When reviewing the reading is always the easiest part. Makes sense, right? The writing of the actual review reads - too much, too bland, or you end up parroting yourself. The funniest thing about all this, is it’s hardest when you fully enjoy and love what you’ve just read. Which is why I’m taking this time to show you how I make my notes during review-reading.
Yes, reading to review is different…at least for me. I am judging the story, there’s no other way to say it. Even though I choose to not judge the technical writing aspect of any story sent to me. Never really sure if I’ve received an advanced final edited copy. This is why I take notes during my reading and here they are for DEADLINE ZOMBIES…
- history of news people, journalist at beginning set the mood
- want more, only at page 9
- time and character voice dead on for time period – Teel has a knack for it
- think Hepburn and Tracy
- think Saturday matinees from years ago
- touch of dark old fashion horror movies…of course, Bela makes an appearance
- collection of short stories…want a full length novel with these characters one day
- think of Nightstalker series…Darren McGavin
- add in time period of War and Nazis…nice mixing
- Oh WOW, did not expect that…nice.
Well folks, there you have it. The reasons I enjoyed DEADLINE ZOMBIES, it fits right in with my faves for total escapism.
Teel…about that full length novel…